The 2012 Wings of Heroes Gala is a celebration of men and women who have helped make spaceflight a reality and who continue to serve as the visionaries and entrepreneurs who are taking space exploration to even greater heights today.
Over 40 astronauts and mission control figures from all eras of space, including Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, and Jim Lovell, are just a few of the guests attending this weekend's events at Seattle's Museum of Flight.
The distinguished group arrives for the Museum's Wing of Heroes Gala on Saturday evening, many of whom will be available to the public on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. for a sneak peek of the Space Shuttle Trainer and the Charles Simonyi Space Gallery, which will permanently open in November.
To cap off this exciting weekend at The Museum of Flight, native Seattleite and “Father of the Space Program,” George Abbey will be in attendance and donating all of his historic, personal NASA papers and documents from his time as Director of the Johnson Space Center to The Museum of Flight archives.
Below is a list of the lectures being hosted by the Museum of Flight this weekend.
Spaceflight Lectures - Sunday, September 23
11 a.m. - Moon Missions - The First Space Station - The Shuttle
- Buzz Aldrin - NASA astronaut, Gemini 12, Apollo 11.
- Jerry Bostick - NASA mission controller for Apollo 13 and other moon program missions, shuttle program manager
- Gerald Carr - NASA astronaut, Skylab 4 (1974)
- Owen Garriott - NASA astronaut, Skylab 3 (1973), shuttle mission STS-9 (1983).
- Jack Lousma - NASA astronaut, Skylab 3 (1973). shuttle mission STS-3 (1982).
- T.K. Mattingly - NASA astronaut, Apollo 16, shuttle missions STS-4, STS-51C.
- Milton Windler - NASA mission controller for Apollo 13 and other moon program missions, Skylab, space shuttle.
1 p.m. - Apollo-Soyuz Test Project and International Space Programs
- Valery Kubasov - Cosmonaut, Soyuz 6 (1969), Soyuz 19/Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (1975), Soyuz 36/Salyut-6 space station (1980).
- Alexey Leonov - Cosmonaut, Voskhd 2 (1965), Soyuz 19/Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (1975).
- Charles Lewis - NASA mission controller for Apollo 17, Skylab, ASTP and early shuttle flights
- Sy Liebergot - NASA flight controller for missions including Apollo 13 and Apollo-Soyuz Test Project.
- Glynn Lunney - NASA mission controller for Apollo 13 and other moon program missions, manager of Apollo-Soyuz Test Project and shuttle program.
- Charles Simonyi - Spaceflight participant, Soyuz TMA-10, 9 (2007), 14 and 13 (2009).
2 p.m. - Book signing/autograph session
For more information, visit www.museumofflight.org.